Problem with 3d printer receiving commands

edited December 2017 in Windows
I bought a GeeeTech Prusa i3 pro b kit, put it together and connected it to my computer through USB, now I can read temps from printer but it won't respond to commands, I can't even turn on a fan(I checked it separately with a battery, it works fine)! here's what I tried so far: (the ones I remember)
• Checked and changed baud rates (250000 and 115200)
• Tried other USB ports
• Updated Marlin firmware

Comments

• Open log and see responses. If you can read temperatures from firmware the connection is not your problem. You have either not enabled power or you must send M80 to enable power if using an ATX power source. Hope you got a config from them so you know that that is at least ok.
    edited December 2017
    Repetier said:
    Open log and see responses. If you can read temperatures from firmware the connection is not your problem. You have either not enabled power or you must send M80 to enable power if using an ATX power source. Hope you got a config from them so you know that that is at least ok.
    I can read temps, and tried both with and without power!
    I'm using the psu in the kit, what is a M80?!

EDIT: I tried the M80 command it didn't do anything noticeable.
  • Repetier said:
    Open log and see responses. If you can read temperatures from firmware the connection is not your problem. You have either not enabled power or you must send M80 to enable power if using an ATX power source. Hope you got a config from them so you know that that is at least ok.
    Like he said above.
    The USB connection supplies some voltage to the board (5VDC). On my printer I can read temp when connected but nothing moves, no fans work if the power supply is not on. Is there some way you can check to make sure your PS is actually working? I don't know your level of experience with meters and such. I just watched an accelerated video on assembly for that model, It is very important to get your power connections correct.
    edited December 2017
    Roko said:
    Repetier said:
    Like he said above.
    The USB connection supplies some voltage to the board (5VDC). On my printer I can read temp when connected but nothing moves, no fans work if the power supply is not on. Is there some way you can check to make sure your PS is actually working? I don't know your level of experience with meters and such. I just watched an accelerated video on assembly for that model, It is very important to get your power connections correct.
    I connected the wires they way it's assembly manual said, I don't have any electrical tools to check my psu, is there a safe way to check it without special tools?

There a green LED on psu's board, when I flip on the power switch, the LED blinks(~0.3 second).

How can I find the output voltage of my psu pins?
  • edited December 2017
    The video I looked at:

5:44 into video shows PS connection. 6:25 show board connector plugged in. I don't have that printer but if you don't have the voltage motors/fans won't work.
    I am pretty sure the green LED should stay on. Try by disconnecting the power connector to the board and turning on the PS. If the light stays on, you most likely have  a problem on the electronics side(load) or wiring going to the board. Make sure the driver boards are oriented correctly. That could cause a failure of the board and/or drivers themselves.

edited December 2017
    I tried disconnecting wires from ps to board and the led stayed on, so before doing anything stupid I want to be sure it's safe(for the board), are ground wires different? I mean does it make a difference if i switch their places?
    or maybe i should change ground and voltage wires places...

btw thank you both for your help(not that I don't need it anymore! :) )

Edit: I noticed it makes electricity like(!) sound when I turn on the power(while all the wires connected the way they were), I assumed it is normal, isn't it?!
    edited December 2017
    So I tested every connector seems like they work fine and the connections are correct too, I also disconnected the ps from the board( on the board's end) and ps led remained on, how can I test it from here? Is my board somewhat broken?

Edit: OK, I realized something and I'm ashamed of it, I connected the power cable to board incorrectly(direction wise).
    I'm sorry if I wasted your time by this stupid mistake, and thank you.
  • You found it. Good Job! Happy Printing! No shame in learning.