Z-Axis issues and stopping a print?

I am having two major issues with Repetier-Server that prevent me from using it, and I am hoping someone here will know what is going wrong because I really like the design of Repetier-Server.  I have a stock Ultimaker 2+.
  • Something is wrong with the Z-Axis movement.  When I move the bed on the Z-Axis with Repetier-Server it makes this horrible noise and moves really slowly (and much further than the selected mm)
  • When I stop a print, it literally just stops.  The head is still touching the print, and it starts to melt a hole/blob right there.
I also have a question.  Since I have not been using Repetier-Server to actually print my parts (because of the issues above) there doesn't seem to be a way to record a timelapse.  Am I missing something?

Comments

• Timelapse can be activated in the webcam tab. You can select to record next or all prints.

Stop at the end is also quite easy to understand. Server just sends you gcode. So your prints do not contain any gcode to move it away. 2 solutions here:
    1. Modify slicer to produce a end gcode that does what you want.
    2. In server edit the event dependent script for print finished (and maybe pause) to move to a safe position.

Z-Axis movement is mainly dependent on firmware not server. But in printer settings you set 
    a) z home position. That is important for the first z move after homing. If it is not correct the move will be not where you expect.
    b) movement speed. Default is 2mm. Many printers can move faster and setting z speed to higher values will make it move faster.

If you still have problems with z move, please be more precise about the command order and where you entered what (there are several ways to move z) and what log shows which commands got executed instead (enable send commands).
  • edited October 2017
    Timelapse can be activated in the webcam tab. You can select to record next or all prints.
    This does not work.  I am not sure if you understood my question.  I am printing from an SD card, not from repetier-server (because of the issues I described above).  The Timelapse does not seem work under these situations.  I don't know if there is a setting I am missing, or the software is just not capable of this.

Stop at the end is also quite easy to understand. Server just sends you gcode. So your prints do not contain any gcode to move it away. 2 solutions here:
    1. Modify slicer to produce a end gcode that does what you want.
    2. In server edit the event dependent script for print finished (and maybe pause) to move to a safe position.

I am not sure I follow you or maybe you don't understand my question.  In Octoprint, in Astroprint, in Formide, in Cura, in Slicer, in S3D, and on the LCD of my printer, when I hit "stop print" it stops the print and moves the head away from the part.  When I hit "stop print" in Repetier-Server it just stops the head right where its at in the middle of the print and starts melting the part.

Z-Axis movement is mainly dependent on firmware not server.

My Z-Axis movement works fine with half a dozen other software programs and slicers.  (See my list above) they all move the bed on the Z-Axis perfectly.  Repetier-server is the only software that fails at this.  Is there some setting that I need to change?

But in printer settings you set 
    a) z home position. That is important for the first z move after homing. If it is not correct the move will be not where you expect.
    b) movement speed. Default is 2mm. Many printers can move faster and setting z speed to higher values will make it move faster.
    a) I am not having a problem with the move not being where I expect, other than it just keeps going.  It might stop eventually, but after about 100 mm (on a 10 mm move) I power down my printer so it doesn't break something.

b) The movement speed is at 2mm which is fast enough and doesn't explain the terrible (almost grinding-like) sound it makes when it moves the bed (only when Repetier-Server moves the bed).

If you still have problems with z move, please be more precise about the command order and where you entered what (there are several ways to move z) and what log shows which commands got executed instead (enable send commands).

The commands are simple, I click the MOVE section on the right hand side of the UI, it has 10 mm selected by default, I click the down arrow once to make it move.  I am not entering any manual commands, nor have I made any custom adjustments to any advanced settings.  As for what commands are actually issued, I would have to try again and look at the log, but the noise it makes is really bad and I am afraid of breaking my printer by using Repetier-Server to move the Z-Axis.  Is there something I could try to at least make the attempt worth it?

• Server does not support sd card. Also sd card completely bypasses server so no timelapse is possible in that case. All you can do is watch temperature:-)

With respect to end of print it seems that the other softwares have some preprogrammed "end script". We make no assumptions on what you might want and give you full freedom on what the printer should do on end of print. That is why we have these scripts and if you enter e.g.
    G0 X0 Y0 F12000
    there it should move to 0,0. But maybe you want also to move to z max so just add that afterwards. Everyone has different wishes here. Therefor go to printer configuration->gcodes->event dependent and add your personal wish for end of print.

Z moves are really done only on printer side. All we can do is send coordinates and speed. So if the sound is bad it is the speed making that sound. As already said when you press the button it moves relative to z coordinate it thinks the printer is at and that is shown in host. Especially on max homing direction there can be a difference. SO if printer is at 200mm and server thinks it is at 0 because you said z home is 0, then to up means z=10 but that is 190 down making a big move. Therefore I said to check what you configured in server and what printer does in reality. They must match.
  • Server does not support sd card. Also sd card completely bypasses server so no timelapse is possible in that case. All you can do is watch temperature:-)
    The camera clearly works and shows video on Repetier-Server when its not printing through Repetier-Server, there is no reason that I can see to not allow you to manually start/stop the timelapse recording.

With respect to end of print it seems that the other softwares have some preprogrammed "end script". We make no assumptions on what you might want and give you full freedom 

I think you are confusing the definition of freedom.  All other software I have used for this purpose gives you the freedom to do what you want; however it also provides sane defaults for the behavior that most end users would want to do (moving the head away from the print in some fashion). You can provide sane defaults and still have complete freedom.

Z moves are really done only on printer side. All we can do is send coordinates and speed. So if the sound is bad it is the speed making that sound. As already said when you press the button it moves relative to z coordinate it thinks the printer is at and that is shown in host. Especially on max homing direction there can be a difference. SO if printer is at 200mm and server thinks it is at 0 because you said z home is 0, then to up means z=10 but that is 190 down making a big move. Therefore I said to check what you configured in server and what printer does in reality. They must match.

I will check this again.  I was just hoping that, with the Ultimaker 2+ being a pretty common machine, there would be others using it on this forum and would know what settings they had to change.  As an aside, having pre-made "profiles" (maybe user submitted even) that you distribute with the server so when you add a printer you can select yours from the list if its there, or use custom if its not, would be extremely helpful!
  • Timelapse recodrs only during print and has triggers like layer change or height change. Printing from sd these infos are not available. Of course you can still see the webcam as this is independent. But there is no function to just record without a running server print.

User contributed configs are on our list but require a online management that still has to be written.
  • Timelapse recodrs only during print and has triggers like layer change or height change. Printing from sd these infos are not available.
    Timelapse also has triggers like "every X seconds" and since time still exists even when Repetier-Server is not printing, it should be pretty trivial to allow for this.  Since it already has "every X seconds" built in, the only thing missing is manually triggering the start and stop events.

User contributed configs are on our list but require a online management that still has to be written.
    Consider my input an additional vote for wanting these.  Maybe if I had had one for my printer I would have been able to print with Repetier-Server out of the box, rather than spending days trying to get information on the forum and trial and error that could damage my printer.

To be honest, the thing I really want out of Repetier-Server is the camera and timelapse functionality (which is behind a managed account system).  It would be nice to be able to print from the software, but its not that difficult to print from an SD card, so having Timelapse work without printing from Repetier-Server would be great!
  • Also I underdstand you, Repetier-Server was made to replace all sd card. As a consequence functions like timelapse rely on own print management and do not try to get some incomplete information about a sd print.