Server Freeze after starting print

Hello,

I am having issues with server freezes. I have three raspberries, which are set up with the same OS/ Repetier server.

One is connected to a German Reprap X400 and works perfectly fine. 
The second is connected to a Protoworx Tiny and also works perfectly fine.

The third raspberry, however, is causing me pain. I have two Protoworx BBDual connected, a printer model which has to separate x-axes.

When restarting the raspberry/server, it is possible to navigate through the GUI and start a print. But after a while, the server starts to massively overuse memory and CPU and thus the GUI freezes. I get timeouts and it is not possible to navigate, but the print continues.
When not starting a print, the same issue occurs when keeping the device not busy for a while.

I tried to connect just one printer and also interchanged raspberries and printers. As long as i don't connect the BBDual, there are no issues.

Is there anything I can do to identify the issue and resolve it? I would like to use the Repetier Server as well with the BBDual.

Thanks in advance for your time and potential help,

Marv

Comments

• If you say GUI you mean a display on pi or the browser gui remotely?
    If latter case which CPU is increasing? Pi or desktop. 
    We had problems that caused loops in browser when server tried to send non UTF-8 chars as browsers do not like this and abort connection while our software directly reconnects. So if you get such a loop might cause trouble. So make sure you have 0.85.2 installed where we added some tests when uploading files so non utf-8 chars get stripped then.

Always check /var/lib/Repetier-Server/log/server.log and /var/log/syslog for indications of problems when such problems happen to get some more infos about what is going on. Apperently you did something the server does not like. Not necessarily your fault, but once you do something that server does not like problems can start. Might also be linux related or a defect file. Hard to say before problem is isolated.

• Hello,
    thanks for your fast response!
    Repetier said:
    If you say GUI you mean a display on pi or the browser gui remotely?
    If latter case which CPU is increasing? Pi or desktop. 
    We had problems that caused loops in browser when server tried to send non UTF-8 chars as browsers do not like this and abort connection while our software directly reconnects. So if you get such a loop might cause trouble. So make sure you have 0.85.2 installed where we added some tests when uploading files so non utf-8 chars get stripped then.
    So, in general, it is the remote GUI that freezes. The CPU of the PI rises in that case so it should be directly connected to the server. It works with the other two servers remotely, it is only the one connected to the BBDUal that causes this issues. We also installed 0.85.2 build.

I'm trying to redo the failure (currently the printers are disconnected) and look in the server log files.

As a Hypothesis:
    Could it be that the second x-axis interferes with something so the server is sending a lot of data and thus overloads the pis CPU?

Regards,

Marv

• No, your hypothesis is very unlikely.

But there is a way to really help me solving this problem. If you install gdb
    sudo apt-get install gdb
    If it happens log in to pi
    ps aux | grep pi@Felix:/var/lib/Repetier-Server $ ps aux | grep tier
    repetie+   972  0.3  1.7 230756 16552 ?        S<sl Jul08  33:17 /usr/local/Repetier-Server/bin/RepetierServer -c /usr/local/Repetier-Server/etc/RepetierServer.xml --daemon
    pi        1047  0.0  0.1   4276  1808 pts/0    S+   08:04   0:00 grep --color=auto tier

remember the process id from server here 972
    The start gdb
    attach <pid number>
    break
    thread apply all bt
    c
    q

This will output a dump of all threads running with functions. From this I can get a good overview what is going on in case it is server related.