Windows no re-connection

I have an annoying issue that happens on windows.
When my printer is turned off or loses connection to a windows based server, repetier server will not reconnect to the printer until I stop / start the server again.

The printer is running a custom Due based board with repetier firmware dev 1.0.0. 
problem exists from repetier server 0.7 - 0.80.3 for me.

This behavior is not present on linux hosts and my printers.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Is the com port present when it does not connect? COuld you then connect with Repetier-Host to serial in that case or is the com port in windows not working correctly for some reason? Would unplugging usb and reconnecting make server connect?
    Have you checked server.log to see if it tries to reconnect and just fails or is there simple no connect try at all?
  • When I have repetier server starting on my windows tablet or any windows device it connects to the printer without issue. If the printer is turned off / disconnected and reconnected, repetier does not automatically reconnect to the printer. 
    I have to stop repetier server, disconnect printer, reconnect printer and start repetier server to have it work again.
    If I disconnect the only logs in server.log is:
    2017-03-30 02:47:44: Connection started:Hyperion
    2017-03-30 02:47:44: Reset printer Hyperion
    2017-03-30 02:48:29: Connection closed: Hyperion

I do not have this issue with linux.
  • Please open hardware manager in windows. If you connect you see a com port appear and server connects. If you unplug and server disconnects you should also see the port disappear. Server should reconnect as soon as it again sees that port. So does windows get the port back in hardware manager and server does not connect?
  • That is correct, the printer com port is back but the server is not re-connecting.
  • Ok, just tested on my windows and it worked several times in a row, so generally it does work as expected.

So the question is what is so special in your case that it does not succeed. Can you disable/activate printer several times without problems in server? That is nearly the same just not unplugging but not listening.

Other things that can prevent connection is if an other software has already connected to the printer. On windows only one program can hold a connection.

What printer board do you have?

• I can disable and activate the printer without issue and reset the printer and it will reconnect. It is only when it is turned off and on or the usb cable is disconnected and reconnected that this happens.

I designed a custom printer controller based on the ramps-fd. I am using an arduino due as base.
  • Does this also happen with programming port? Normally the programming port connects more reliably as it resets the board while the other one does not reset and depending on state it might need a reset to reconnect (e.g. when it expects line resend of line 500 due to disconnecting during transmission).
  • I use the programming port only
  • Ok, then I I do not see why. I mean it works on first case it works when doing manually so something must cause this, but I can't say what and why this happens to you and not others. Maybe something special in your hardware/software combination that causes it.
  • I have the same issue.  Repetier firmware 92.9, server 80.3, Windows 10.  About half the time if the server process is running and you turn on the printer, there's a disconnect somewhere.  The server webpage says the printer is online, but you can't control, print or send gcode commands.  The display on the printer normally on power on, displays the IP address of the server.  But it just says Printer Ready.  You can power cycle the printer over and over again and it won't actually connect even though it says it's online.

The only way to get it connected at this point is to stop the Server service and restart it.

Also when you power on the printer or if it's on and you attach the USB cable, the printer resets and reboots once.  This happens regardless if Server is running or not.  It's not an issue, but maybe a clue as to what's happening.
  • The reset on connect is normal. Server toggles DTR/RTS and that causes the reset. That way we start with defined state.

Am I'm I right that the display is already showing data also power is off? That means teh board gets also powered by usb. So you would have a connection as soon as you connect usb. Then you could send "M117 Hi" and display it in display as a test, also IP also comes from server.

So next question is when the not working happens. Does it happen when you turn on main power? Can you still modify display text or communicate otherwise?

If it happens in that moment the enabling power causes the usb to get into trouble somehow from the power change but windows shows it connected so server does not reconnect.

Would disabling and enabling printer in server help here?
  • If the printer power supply is off, the display is also off.  No power from USB.

If the printer is on and the Server service doesn't have a connection, any command I send through either Host or via the Server console on the webpage, returns a warning that an OK should have been acknowledged and has no response or effect.

So right now I have a batch file that stops the Server service then restarts it.  It's a pain since it has to be run as Administrator and it sort of defeats the purpose of having a server control the printer without having to manually interact with it.
  • What board do you have in the printer?
    Do you see the COM port also if printer is not powered? I remember there is one board that does power usb converter from usb but the rest not. Since the server expects the printer to be there when it sees comport this can confuse him probably.

Also you did not say if disabling/enabling printer in server frontend works in your case. This forces server to stop connection and the reinitialize like it does on restart.
  • In my case it is a arduino due on a custom made baord similar to the ramps fd.
    My issue every time is while repetier server is running and the printer is powered down or disconnected for any reason from my windows pc, it will not reconnect with repetier again. It will show the green link but nothing would happen. to fix this I have to disconnect the printer, stop repetier service, reconnect printer and strat repetier service. or restart the pc.

It is like repetier is locking the usb port some how even though from windows perspective the port is no longer available.
    Just stopping and starting the service does not help, I need to disconnect the usb in between to make it work again.
    This is an issue as my hard stop button and emergency procedure cuts power to the printer and thus renders the server useless untill i perform this procedure above.

This issue is not present on an raspberry pi or a pc with linux. Unfortunately this is not a solution i can tolerate.
  • If repetier is connected to a printer and the printer is disconnected and I stop and start the repetier service I get the following errors in windows event viewer:
    Faulting application name: RepetierServer.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5849222c
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17031, time stamp: 0x53088928
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0005a172
    Faulting process id: 0xaf0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2ebb18adcfb24
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Repetier-Server\bin\RepetierServer.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 07261ec7-57a8-11e7-9742-08d83468f4fa
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

and

Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: RepetierServer.exe
    P2: 0.0.0.0
    P3: 5849222c
    P4: ntdll.dll
    P5: 6.3.9600.17031
    P6: 53088928
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 0005a172
    P9:
    P10:

• The due boards I have get powered from usb so unpowering main power does not disconnect since the communication is still alive and working. Server disconnects as soon as windows removes the serial connection.

Are you using programming or native due port?
    Have you modified it to power only over main power?

• I am using programming port and the printer controller is powered by it's own power supply. It is isolated from the pc.