New Features: Raytracing and Rendering of preview images for stl and g-code

edited April 2015 in News
We are working hard on our next major update of Repetier-Server. One cool new feature is Raytracing and Rendering for stl files and g-codes.

Repetier-Server creates really nice preview images, which will be fully customizable. You can adjust the quality, colors, shadows, lights, ...

Here are some examples:

We also had the idea to pimp you preview images with photographic backgrounds like cloudy skies, atmospheric sunsets or stars in the night sky which could look like this:

In addition to a repertoire of already contained images you could also use your own images. But this comes only if there is a demand for this feature. So if you would like to get this feature in a later version, give us some feedback.

Comments

• That looks awesome!  It would definitely be better than the current method.  I often find myself picking a certain angle to view that part at so that the "glare" is just right to see the details.  This would be WAY better!
  • It would be nice to be able to configure the color on per gcode file basis. I upload and keep gcode files of the same print object multiple times (for different filaments). At the moment they all are rendered in the same color. It would be nice to have render color reflect the color of the filament.
  • You can set the color int Global Settings -> Preview Images. If you change this before uploading the G-Code, the new color will be used.
  • Thanks, I will give it a try. :-)
  • For multicolor print I request to have option to set color of each nozzle per folder, something like INI file, lets say
    nozzle1={FF,00,00}
    nozzle2={00,FF,00}
    or another option eg - pick it up from the comment in gcode/3mf usually have these colors set
    Issue is lot of us (i believe) have new multicolor printers, and some prints required particular colors to be in different positions.
    So - the renderer will render the images in these colors + add a new part to image where will be shown which nozzle requires which color.  (eg square with color and number of nozzle in center)
  • Per folder is bad idea ince you can move them around and that changes no color.

However you can change colors already if you add at start a matching server command to define color:

@extruderColor <extrId> #RRGGBB

Forces the G-Code renderer to use the given color for extruder ID (extrID). Extruder ID starts with 0 for extruder 1. Example: @extruderColor 0 #ff0000

So if you can configure gcode per filament you could add the color server command there so sliced gcode has color you want instead of default color per extruder. Use ;@extruderColor to make it compatible gcode for slicer and eventually sd card printing.
  • Repetier said:
    Per folder is bad idea ince you can move them around and that changes no color.

However you can change colors already if you add at start a matching server command to define color:

@extruderColor <extrId> #RRGGBB

Forces the G-Code renderer to use the given color for extruder ID (extrID). Extruder ID starts with 0 for extruder 1. Example: @extruderColor 0 #ff0000

So if you can configure gcode per filament you could add the color server command there so sliced gcode has color you want instead of default color per extruder. Use ;@extruderColor to make it compatible gcode for slicer and eventually sd card printing.
    Can you, please, elaborate how can I do it per folder or project? Or it is possible to do it only globally?
    What I understand if I want to do it, I need to include several lines to gcode (one per extruder like):
    ;@extruderColor 0 #FF0000
    ;@extruderColor 1 #FF11FF
    ;@extruderColor 2 #123456
    ;@extruderColor 3 #aabbcc
    ;@extruderColor 4 #00f000
    and repetitier server will take it into mind and render colored as desired?

also, is it possible to implement the second function - to have a note in the rendered image, which extruder is set with which color? 
  • It is not per folder, it is per gcode file. You must include it in the gcode the slicer creates. For that reason I suggested using filament selection to add it automatically.

In a future release we will add a material manager where this will also be possible to add materials to gcode description so we can control befor ethe print if color matches.

In Summary you can add notes to uploaded gcodes - what you write there is up to you.