Using buttons without a LCD

Hey guys,

I am wondering if there is any possibility to get some keys working without a display? Sounds weird but maybe makes more sense considering this:
As I am using a Minitronics from RepRapWorld there are almost no pins left on my controller board (even if, i don't necessarily want one). What I want to do is making the Z_PROBE_HEIGHT calibration a little bit easier. I want to use 3 buttons in total:

Key 1: If pushed for about 3 seconds the controller enters the calibration mode (or leaves it)
Key 2: Moves Z 0.05 mm upwards
Key 3: Moves Z 0.05 mm downwards

When key 1 is pushed for another 3 seconds in calibration mode the current Z_PROBE_HEIGHT is read from EEPROM, the current Z-Value is also read, some math is done and the new (correct) Z_PROBE_HEIGHT value is written into EEPROM. That would make my life way simpler. 

Even though this doesn't makes sense for everyone reading this I really would appreciate your help!

I already tried to manage it for a couple of hours but couldn't get it working. What I did was the following:
inspired by: https://www.repetier.com/documentation/repetier-firmware/rf-installation/

in Configuration.h
#define FEATURE_CONTROLLER 0
#define FEATURE_UI_KEYS 1

in ui.h
#define UI_ACTION_CUSTOM 114      //value is not in use, only for testing
#define UI_DISPLAY_TYPE 1
#define UI_HAS_KEYS 1

void ui_init_keys() {
  UI_KEYS_INIT_BUTTON_LOW(19);    //button connects line to GND (btw, any need to activate the a pullup resistor?)
}
void ui_check_keys(int &action) {
  UI_KEYS_BUTTON_LOW(19,UI_ACTION_CUSTOM);
}

in ui.cpp
#if UI_HAS_KEYS == 1
    if(action & UI_ACTION_TOPMENU)   // Go to start menu
    {
        menuLevel = 0;
    }
    action &= 8191; // strip out higher level flags
    if(action >= 2000 && action < 3000)
    {
        setStatusP(Com::translatedF(UI_TEXT_STRING_ACTION_ID));
    }
    else
        switch(action)
        {
        case UI_ACTION_CUSTOM:  
            Com::printF("testing");
            break;
        case UI_ACTION_OK:

I also tried some other code-changes but always either get an compile error or nothing happens at all.

Does anyone has a solution for this problem?

Best regards
Stefan

BTW: All buttons and connections are working when I compile a custom project. Just not the implementation with Repetier Firmware.

Comments

• You can easily define up to 4 keys

#define USER_KEY1_PIN     UI_DISPLAY_D5_PIN      // D5 to display (not used for graphics controller), change to other pin if you use character LCD !

#define USER_KEY1_ACTION  UI_ACTION_FAN_SUSPEND

#define USER_KEY2_PIN     UI_DISPLAY_D6_PIN      // D6 to display (not used for graphics controller)...

#define USER_KEY2_ACTION  UI_ACTION_SD_PRI_PAU_CONT

#define USER_KEY3_PIN     UI_DISPLAY_D7_PIN      // D7 to display (not used for graphics controller)...

#define USER_KEY3_ACTION  UI_ACTION_LIGHTS_ONOFF

#define USER_KEY4_PIN     -1

#define USER_KEY4_ACTION  UI_ACTION_DUMMY

The action will then be executed, but there is no way to have 3sec delay to run a function. Also what you want needs a bit of extra logic to work. With lcd the dev version has a function for that problem but that is not working with 3 buttons and no display.

• Thanks a lot for your help! I expected something like that.....
    I am gonna buy a display and try it out. Shouldn't make anymore problems then I guess. 
    Till then, best regards
    Stefan