Exclude G-Codes destroys print job

I used Exclude G-codes for the first time today to find out that it completely kills the print job, if the selected rectangle is currently being printed.

I had multiple items to print and decided one of them did not need to be printed. So I made my rectangle and excluded it. The printer was working on that parts layer at the time, so my thought process is that it threw out g-code it was trying to do and sent the next parts g-code layer. However the printer got confused with this.

I would like to recommend that the exclusion takes place on the next layer and not on the layer that is currently being printed. This would give the printer time to complete the codes it already has and the next layer starts fresh without the exluded parts code.

Comments

• Generally it is good to start as soon as possible. I will think about why this might happen when inside region. Might be a problem that the go inside move is missing since it was already inside and that would lead to the problem.
  • Yeah, if you could code it to ignore the inside region until after it leaves that region, I think that would resolve the problem. Also, until that is figured out, maybe a notice below the submit/save button that states to wait until the hotend is out of the affected area.
  • I have now tested this twice and never got any untypical reactions. Can you explain what exactly is happening if you exclude a active region? From the analysis nothing is expected to happen except not being printed.
  • I've only done it once so far. The section it was working on had a separate part it was working on that layer. While it was working in the region for that part, I excluded it expecting it would finish up that layer and move on to the next code outside of the exclusion area. What it did instead was stop after the current code processed and was ready for the next block of code. If I remember right, it acted like it forgot where it was and acted like its coordinate system got reset to 0,0 and started processing the rest of the code from there.

Sorry I don't have anything else to help find the issue.
  • Slicers produce absolute gcode, so it won't forget positions. All it does is strip all G0/G1 moves resulting inside the region. I will keep an eye on the problem but since I can not reproduce will ignore it for next release, except I see it happen so I can reproduce it.
  • Understood, it was a weird thing that it did. When I get free time, I will see if I can get it to happen again and if so, I will write down the steps to reproduce it. Thanks!
  • That would be great. If you can also show the g-code in case the reason for it lies in gcode.