Manual Controls Aren't Enabled

I'm using Repetier and am pretty new to some of this stuff, but it says that it can successfully connect to the device; however, in the Manual tab of Repetier, none of the control buttons are enabled (cannot be clicked, bed cannot be turned on, etc) and the status on the tab is "Disconnected." What could cause the software to say it is connected to a device, and then in this tab not be connected?

Comments

• edited April 2017
    I have the same problem on top of the Repetier Server Error (500).
    would be nice to get an answer.
  • Assuming you are connected to server, so the connected just means host is connected with server. But if printer is not connected to server you still can not communicate. This would be indicated by disconnected state in server tab. In that case go to server web frontend and configure the printer correctly (port, firmware, baud rate are the important one here).

@Alucard Can you open server frontend? Where do you get error 500? The better the description is the better we can help.
  • When ever I try to load the gcode for printing in repetier host, even after uploading the gcode from frontend.

Thank you.
  • I can successfully push firmware onto my board from Marlin on my laptop, but when I try to Activate the printer in the Server it fails, and then of course that means that I can't do anything with the printer via my Repetier-Host either. I've confirmed that the printer is plugged into COM6 and have this set in my Server printer settings. I've also confirmed the Baud Rate at 250000. Are there some troubleshooting techniques I could employ for this situation?  
  • Are you using Marlin or Repetier firmware on your controller board ?

• Can you connect using Repetier-Host only, without trying to connect with the server. Try using RH with the printer being deactivated in the server.It's one or the other that can be connected at a time. If connected with the RH and then activating with server my printer says its activated with the banner in the lower right with a checkmark but going to the printer I have no controls. And the box with the name shows a broken connection symbol. If I the go into RH and disconnect the server will connect and all controls will be there.
  • Well I don't know what was goofy in there, but I deleted the printer from Repetier everything, and then readded it, and sent new firmware. I did this like three times and it's working now. Probably user error somewhere >.>
  • Although now I am getting a repeating error:
    "Exception during the socket read: Too many items in the combo box."

When I connect to my server, is gives me the option to select the new one I've added, as well as the old printer setup I deleted (gave them different names)
  • Ok so ignore the last two posts I put up (since I apparently can't edit or delete them).

I can connect to the printer using a serial connection and control the printer manually from there.

On my Repetier Server, I can connect the server to the printer (Activate it), but I when I connect to the printer via the server in my Repetier-Host, I cannot connect to the actual printer and control it manually. It says the printer is Disconnected / Deactivated
  • Also @MartinH - I am using Marlin firmware
  • mauddib said:

On my Repetier Server, I can connect the server to the printer (Activate it), but I when I connect to the printer via the server in my Repetier-Host, I cannot connect to the actual printer and control it manually. It says the printer is Disconnected / Deactivated

I guess what I was saying was: If I open RH and connect to the printer I cannot connect to it using the server - open frontend option in RH at the same time. If I stay disconnected in RH, I can connect and use the printer with the server - open frontend option. I had inferred you were trying to use the server while connected in RH. I must have misunderstood.

• I was able to continue to fiddle around with it the settings some more and get everything connecting fine; now the problem is just that it appears my Z axis is backwards (pressing up goes down, pressing down goes up), but I think that's just some settings in the Firmware to fix it