serial com error system io ports

Hello 

I started to use reptier firmware just since now and i used the setup guide for the firmware (which is gr8 btw!). I used all the values from my marlin setup to start with (esteps and such) and choosen all the right hardware (128x64 controller) and uploaded it to my megatronics board.

When i upload it i see my board lighting up (LED blinking) just like uploading marlin so probably thats going ok

But when i start up Repetier host and try to connect to the printer i get this error report 
Serial com error: system.IO.ports.serialerrorrecievedeventArgs

also my LCD is lighting up but i see nothing except the nice green screen.

What am i doing wrong? 
Com4 is selected by me as it was functioning with marlin

Tnx
Weedz

Comments

• See your display -> Configuration -> General -> Baudrate and check taht the baudrate is the same as in host. Firmware normally uses eeprom so the values stored in eeprom count not configuration.h, except you upload with different EEPROM_MODE.
  • i have never saved something to the EPROM and i have set the baudrate at 25000 in the firmware aswell in the host. the LCD screen doesnt light up
  • Values get automatically stored at first startup if EEPROM_MODE is not 0. So try 115200 which is I think the default value and most likely if it is not 250000.
  • edited March 2015
    ok so indeed that did the trick i can connect to the printer and i can control the axis..... Thanks!

But the LCD screen still doesnt work its a reprapdiscount full graphic one.... you have any solutions for that with a megatronics board? or is there also something stored in the eeprom for the LCD?

ow and with the megatronics comes the option to use a thermocouple as sensor but it doesnt read that from the tempsensor pin does it need to be another pinnumber, with marlin i just use the option for the -1 sensor  (ad595) and it worked maybe i jumped to conclusions that it would work here aswell. The connection for the thermocouple is a different one then the thermistor but it worked in marlin firmware  figured this one out to use another Pin

only problem is the full lcd
  • There is no pinout defined for megatronic board, which is why it does not work. We don't have the hardware to tests this.

BTW: Is there a official connector where the display can connect the display or is this a adapter you made.

Anyhow, you need to go to ui.h and seach the case for the full display reprapdiscount controller and add a case for your motherboard like rumba and RAMPS whcih are already included. Once pins are correect display should start to work.

If it works, please mail/post the additional section so we can add it for other users as well.
  • Yes there is this connector that I got for the screen http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Geeetech-LCD-2004-12864-controller-adaptor-for-Rambo-Sanguinololu-Megatronics-/221633828524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item339a67d6ac

I got it in a bundle with the LCD and it works with Marlin out of the box. Im not really a firmware hacker but I tried to find the pins for the right connections but I could figure out were to change all of the pin numbers.

BUT I found this post from a guy that got his megatronics working with the LCD and I tested that and it works. But his printer is a Delta and I couldn't figure out the right pin numbers and were to change it. But if you have this firmware you could easily find this I can imagin!

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?178,389864

He mentions in his post that he reported this a while a go but that you didn't implement it, of which I can imaging that you are quite busy. but maybe now is the time! .

thanks

• edited March 2015
    Ok so i am now officially a code genie 

i did the following i copyed his part of the ui.h file to my one  and excluded everything else after it with a /*. 

#if (FEATURE_CONTROLLER == CONTROLLER_SMARTRAMPS) || (FEATURE_CONTROLLER == CONTROLLER_GADGETS3D_SHIELD) || (FEATURE_CONTROLLER == CONTROLLER_REPRAPDISCOUNT_GLCD)

#define UI_HAS_KEYS 1#define UI_HAS_BACK_KEY 0#if FEATURE_CONTROLLER == CONTROLLER_REPRAPDISCOUNT_GLCD#define UI_DISPLAY_TYPE DISPLAY_U8G#define U8GLIB_ST7920#define UI_LCD_WIDTH 128#define UI_LCD_HEIGHT 64
    //select font size#define UI_FONT_6X10 //default font#ifdef UI_FONT_6X10#define UI_FONT_WIDTH 6#define UI_FONT_HEIGHT 10#define UI_FONT_SMALL_HEIGHT 7#define UI_FONT_DEFAULT repetier_6x10#define UI_FONT_SMALL repetier_5x7#define UI_FONT_SMALL_WIDTH 5 //smaller font for status display#define UI_ANIMATION 0  // Animations are too slow#endif
    //calculate rows and cols available with current font#define UI_COLS (UI_LCD_WIDTH/UI_FONT_WIDTH)#define UI_ROWS (UI_LCD_HEIGHT/UI_FONT_HEIGHT)#define UI_DISPLAY_CHARSET 3#else#define UI_DISPLAY_TYPE DISPLAY_4BIT#define UI_DISPLAY_CHARSET 1#define UI_COLS 20#define UI_ROWS 4#endif#define BEEPER_TYPE 1#if FEATURE_CONTROLLER == CONTROLLER_GADGETS3D_SHIELD // Gadgets3d shield#define BEEPER_PIN             33#define UI_DISPLAY_RS_PIN      16#define UI_DISPLAY_RW_PIN      -1#define UI_DISPLAY_ENABLE_PIN  17#define UI_DISPLAY_D0_PIN      23#define UI_DISPLAY_D1_PIN      25#define UI_DISPLAY_D2_PIN      27#define UI_DISPLAY_D3_PIN      29#define UI_DISPLAY_D4_PIN      23#define UI_DISPLAY_D5_PIN      25#define UI_DISPLAY_D6_PIN      27#define UI_DISPLAY_D7_PIN      29#define UI_ENCODER_A           35#define UI_ENCODER_B           37#define UI_ENCODER_CLICK       31#define UI_RESET_PIN           41#else  // Smartcontroller
    // copyd from here thanks to Vreihen at reprapforum.com#if MOTHERBOARD==701 // Megatronics v2.0#define UI_DISPLAY_RS_PIN 14#define UI_DISPLAY_RW_PIN -1#define UI_DISPLAY_ENABLE_PIN 15#define UI_DISPLAY_D4_PIN 30#define UI_DISPLAY_D5_PIN 31#define UI_DISPLAY_D6_PIN 32#define UI_DISPLAY_D7_PIN 33#define UI_ENCODER_A 61#define UI_ENCODER_B 59#define UI_ENCODER_CLICK 43#define UI_SHIFT_OUT 17#define UI_SHIFT_LD 42#define UI_SHIFT_CLK 63#define UI_RESET_PIN 66 // was 41 //AE3 was here and added this line 1/25/2014  (Note pin 41 is Y- endstop!)#define UI_INVERT_MENU_DIRECTION true#endif/*#if MOTHERBOARD == 80 // Rumba has different pins as RAMPS!#define BEEPER_PIN             44#define UI_DISPLAY_RS_PIN      19#define UI_DISPLAY_RW_PIN      -1#define UI_DISPLAY_ENABLE_PIN  42#define UI_DISPLAY_D0_PIN      18#define UI_DISPLAY_D1_PIN      38#define UI_DISPLAY_D2_PIN      41#define UI_DISPLAY_D3_PIN      40#define UI_DISPLAY_D4_PIN      18#define UI_DISPLAY_D5_PIN      38#define UI_DISPLAY_D6_PIN      41#define UI_DISPLAY_D7_PIN      40#define UI_ENCODER_A           12#define UI_ENCODER_B           11#define UI_ENCODER_CLICK       43#define UI_RESET_PIN           46#elif MOTHERBOARD == 301 // Rambo has own pins layout#define BEEPER_PIN             79#define UI_DISPLAY_RS_PIN      70#define UI_DISPLAY_RW_PIN      -1#define UI_DISPLAY_ENABLE_PIN  71#define UI_DISPLAY_D0_PIN      -1#define UI_DISPLAY_D1_PIN      -1#define UI_DISPLAY_D2_PIN      -1#define UI_DISPLAY_D3_PIN      -1#define UI_DISPLAY_D4_PIN      72#define UI_DISPLAY_D5_PIN      73#define UI_DISPLAY_D6_PIN      74#define UI_DISPLAY_D7_PIN      75#define UI_ENCODER_A           76#define UI_ENCODER_B           77#define UI_ENCODER_CLICK       78#define UI_RESET_PIN           80#undef SDCARDDETECT#define SDCARDDETECT           81#undef SDCARDDETECTINVERTED#define SDCARDDETECTINVERTED   0#undef SDSUPPORT#define SDSUPPORT              1 #else  // RAMPS#define BEEPER_PIN             37#define UI_DISPLAY_RS_PIN      16#define UI_DISPLAY_RW_PIN      -1#define UI_DISPLAY_ENABLE_PIN  17#define UI_DISPLAY_D0_PIN      23#define UI_DISPLAY_D1_PIN      25#define UI_DISPLAY_D2_PIN      27#define UI_DISPLAY_D3_PIN      29#define UI_DISPLAY_D4_PIN      23#define UI_DISPLAY_D5_PIN      25#define UI_DISPLAY_D6_PIN      27#define UI_DISPLAY_D7_PIN      29#define UI_ENCODER_A           33#define UI_ENCODER_B           31#define UI_ENCODER_CLICK       35#define UI_RESET_PIN           41#endif */#endif
  • next thing i would like is to show the splash screen a little longer..... u know where to find that?
  • and offcourse i have a question about how to tweak the screen info on the lcd screen.

for example if i wanted to change he picto for the heatbed were should i change it? is it a bitmap configed to matrix?
  • Thanks for the update. Should now work with recent 0.92.3 version.

The pictograms are part of the font u8g_font_6x12_67_75 in u8glib_ex.h. A nice user had added them there.

The content is defined in uimenu.h which also contains descriptions on how to change the menu structure.
  • Thanks !

And thanks to Vreihen from reprapforum for giving his firmware to use and making work of it .....

• Hi Guys Im new to the forum. Im Having the same problem I have done everything as said above but I still thes same error and no movments from the consol pls help
  • here is the error I get when I run M119

• repetier serial com error system Io Ports serial Error Recvieved Event Args
  • That error is when OS does not connect correctly or looses connection. What is the full context in the log?
  • serial com error system Io Ports serial Error Recvieved Event Args

I am also getting similar error, I tried all the steps mentioned above. Still cant clear the issue.
  • I think this one happens if some other software is using the same port already and host can not open the port for this reason. Has nothing to do with firmware at this stage.