Random loss of connection. Help!

Hey guys, i know this question gets asked a lot but i cant seem to find an answer to my loss of connection issue.
Im using a Da Vinci 1.0 printer with Repetier 0.92Mod firmware. Ive set everything up myself using my windows 8.1 laptop and have had no issues at all with connection, or anything at all really. Repetier firmware and host program is reeeaaaallllyyyy good! Well done :)

Now, ive just bought an ex government laptop running windows vista that i want to use solely to run the printer. The only software on it is arduino and repetier host. i use my main laptop to model designs etc and need to be able to print off another computer so i can leave the printer alone for hours.

I had set everything up the same as the main laptop and managed to connect to the printer fine. But, about 20 or so minutes into the print i lost connection with the printer with no errors or anything in the logs. it just stopped, heaters running. The laptop seemed to be paused waiting for the printer. And clicking buttons just added commands in queue. After restarting the computer, and printer, and reinstalling everything, i was unable to reconnect to the printer! It detects the com port and "connects" to it, but sits there with 8 commands waiting.

The only way i can actually connect to it again is by un-installing the driver for the port and reinstalling it again. But i continue to lose connection mid print. sometimes on the first perimeter, sometimes mid layer or on the second layer. and once that happens, i cant reconnect again without reinstalling the driver on the com port.

I have tried different Baudrates, different usb ports, reinstalling everything etc. Thing is, it works fine with my main laptop, baud = 230400, but always drops out with this one. What am i missing? I need this to work ASAP! 

Thank you in advance!

Sam

Comments

• I don't know DaVinci but some printers get stabilized through USB power and that can differ between laptops. So maybe you should try with a active hub in between to add some power.

If you had different usb cables try the other one. Sometimes it is the usb cable making trouble.

If it happens I guess unconnecting usb and turning off printer and then reconnecting would also make it run again. 
  • Thanks for the reply.
    That's the odd thing. I cant get it to reconnect again even after restarting/disconnecting everything. Which is why i havent tried a powered usb hub yet. i have to reinstall the driver for that port
    I still have to use my main laptop to print which has never disconnected from the printer once, ever.