Gear change; firmware fix?

Hello all!
First off, I love repetier firmware! I have a Dacinci 1.0 and replacing the stock firware with repetier 0.91 mod (1.14-12-12_1.1) has improved my print quality and made it so I can use a wide range of filaments.

After several months of printing, I recently changed the stepper motor in my Davinci 1.0.  I also changed the gear attached to the stepper.  Both steppers are 200 steps/rev, but I think the new gear has a different # of teeth because my prints are now longer coming out square.  I just printed a 20mm square, and the x direction is 20.00mm, but the Y direction is 18.00mm.  This makes me think that the new gear has 2 more or 2 fewer teeth.  Either way, I think I should be able to make the correction in hardware.  I checked the forum, and I wasn't able to find similar situation. The Y stepper motor has a gear which drives a pulley connected to a rod that drives 2 pulleys which moves the carrage in the Y direction.  So my questions are:

Does the gear size/ratio matter a lot, or can it be compensated for using software?

Where in the firmware can I make this change? 

I see:

#define YAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM 80

I am guessing I will need to change 80 to either 72 or 88.  I'm just worried that there is some other place that needs this change as well, and I don't want to miss it.  If it's 72, I think I would lose a little resolution, but 88 would increase it slightly I think.

Lastly, I am using Simplify3D for slicing and printing.  Is there somewhere in there I would need to make a change as well, or would making the change in the firmware solve this problem by itself?

Thanks!

Comments

• You only need to change 
    #define YAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM 80
    or if you have EEPROM enabled you simply change the eeprom value with repetier-host as in this case the config has no influence. No other programs need to be changed.