Mouse wheel zooming broken in version 1.05 Windows

I upgraded to version 1.05 of RH from version 1.02 and mouse wheel zooming is pretty much broken.  It is far too sensitive now.  It used zoom in very small increments so that one could carefully zoom in and out of the slicing preview to inspect the layers.  Now it jumps from zoomed out to zoomed all the way in in just 3 click of the mouse wheel.  Is there an adjustment to this sensitivity?  I even donated $10 this time.  It's very disappointing.

Comments

• Also, can someone post a link to RH 1.02?  There does not seem to be any way do download an older version and I need to older version until version 1.06 is fixed.
  • Mhh. I have to test it on a computer with click wheel how it behaves. Here I have a magic mouse and there it works well, also quite fast. So I will reduce speed for the next update. Hope that it then also works for you.
  • It seems that if you are zoomed out each step of the wheel zooms by a small amount but the more you zoom in the more the each subsequent step zooms in.  It's as if each step is a percentage of the previous zoom level.  In other words if my effective zoom is 50% and each step is defined to be "zoom in 10%" my next zoom level would be %50 + 5% = %55.  Then 55% = 5.5% = 60.5%.  Then 60.5% + 6.1% = 66.6%.  This has the effect of accelerating the zoom in as one gets "closer" to the object to the point that the last few zoom in steps are very large while at a distance they are very small.

Here is a video of what's happening:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0ubv90jcaoybij/2014-10-03 11.47.55.mov?dl=0

Perhaps the zoom speed can be made adjustable?  I am happy to help test if you like.

Rob

• No need to see the video, robnee has been very clear to detail the problem.
    I fully agreed with him.

Zooming is now almot impossible, preventing a detailed check of the slices.

Repetier, Is there any sort of patch we can apply, prior the the next version ?

Genn
  • In 1,0.6 I have added a bit more damping. It was already working good for my wheel mouse and is now even a bit slow for me. It may be a bit fast if you have set mouse wheel speed high in your windows mouse settings -  then you get the same coarse granularity for zoom. My mouse is set to 4 lines/click, just for reference.
  • Repetier, I just forgot to tell you I am using 1.0.6 and still suffer of the problem detailed by robnee.
    I went down to mouse wheel set to 1 line/click, with very little progress.
    This is very strange ,as the mouse reacts normally in all other programs (  Paint Shop, for example )

I just wonder if the REAL problem is what Robnee defined as "effect of accelerating the zoom in as one gets "closer" to the object"
    Tonight I just found out that, when I the object is taking most of the display window, one further mouse click will make the object "exploding" in a "faded" light blue window, no slicing visible

hope have been of some help to troubleshoot the problem.....( I wonder if only few of us are experiencing this prolem....)
  • I am running 1.0.6 with the same issue.  I see no movement on this since for 6 months.  Is there any resolution yet?

Thanks..
  • I have just upgraded to version 1,5,2 and the mouse wheel zoom problem still exists.  The main problem is the zooming is FAR too course close up and far too fine when zoomed way out.  Can you please do one of two things?  Disable the acceleration effect to permit very fine steps when zoomed in. Or perhaps the problem is that you must implement this so that the zooming is fine close up and course when zoomed out.  The way it works now may be fine for the developers but it does not work for the users.  If you switch to the zoom tool the zooming is nice and fine and usable.  I do not like using the zoom tool though because there is no keyboard shortcut.  I prefer to zoom using the scroll wheel.

Alternatively you could add a scaling option that allows the user to define the amount of zoom for each step of the scroll wheel.  Setting this option globally in the windows control panel is not an option as that effects all other programs.  It needs to be a RH options.

PLEASE add an option for the user to scale the mouse wheel zoom to his or her liking.  The way it works now is very frustrating and frankly is the only problem I have with RH.  The way the rest of the program works is great but this problem is awful.

Rob

• The factor was a good idea. For me it was already awfully slow so I have now factor 4, while I guess you would like a factor or 0.4. So with different mouse behaviour this is the only way to make everyone happy. Will be included in 1.5.3 coming today or tomorrow.
  • This is wonderful news.  I look forward to trying this new feature.
  • 1.5.3 is already out. In 3d settings you can now set a speed factor.
  • Yes.  I just tried the new zoom factor feature.  It works very well!  I'm sure others will appreciate this feature as well.  My Repetier workflow is much easier now.  Thank you so much for adding this!  A donation is forthcoming...