Documentation-links to Skeinforge slicer broken? Skeinforge not bundled / no easy option any more?

Probably I'm just overlooking something, but ...

On https://www.repetier.com/ for the Linux download I read:
"The Linux installer comes already with everything you need. It includes Repetier-Server, Slic3r, [,,,] , Skeinforge, [...]."

I did not find Sli3r included and downloaded installed it myself. Also I did not find Skeinforge included, but was not able to get to a working Skeinforge-installation on my own.

Following the link to "Slicing" under "Windows & Linux Documentation (see https://www.repetier.com/documentation/repetier-host/slicing/) there is a subsection regarding Skeinforge.

I did not succeed in following the instructions there, maybe there really is no Skeinforge included in the current Linux download of Repetier-Host Software? The external link  in the subsection "Slice with Skeinforge" seems not to lead to information about Skeinforge anymore.
Citation:
"Skeinforge is an external slicer software which is bundled with the host and works nearly the same, the only difference is, that you have only one profile type to select from." (The link leads to http://fabmetheus.crsndoo.com/)

I also did not succeed to google current information regarding Skeinforge. There are some directories on github, but I can't identify whether and how they are meant to be used by 3D-printing beginners like me.

Do you have any hint, what I may overlook? Or can somebody confirm, that Skeinforge is not bundled with the Linux download (all downloads?) anymore? And whether Skeinforge is still a working slicing alternative, or should not be used anymore when beginning with 3D-printing?

Many thanks :-)

Comments

• Skeinforge is not bundled directly and gets downloaded by windows installer.

The link is in deed not working any more. Looks like the developer has now deleted the homepage after not developing the software for years now. So maybe we should remove it completely in the long term.

Slic3r has become a problem on linux not working on all versions so we removed it from package and you now need to install it manually and just say where it is stored.
  • Dear Repetier-Team,

thank you very much for your very quick and comprehensive reply. That was very helpful :-)

Skeinforge is not bundled directly and gets downloaded by windows installer.
    > The link is in deed not working any more. Looks like the developer has now 
    > deleted the homepage after not developing the software for years now. 
    > So maybe we should remove it completely in the long term.
    I will probably stick to Slic3r since it is very well working for me.

I just wanted to give Skeinforge a try for some special purposes (like only slicing the first layer for some specific tests). Not really important.

> Slic3r has become a problem on linux not working on all versions 
    > so we removed it from package and you now need to install it 
    > manually and just say where it is stored.
    I am using openSUSE Leap 42.2, Repetier-Host and Slic3r seem to work fine. As far as I can tell, on my installation, I had to additionally install "mono" with openSUSE's YaST software mangement. As far as I understood, "mono" is sort of a .net-framework-implementation for Linux. I think I chose to install "mono-core" and allowed packages additionally selected automatically to be installed too. Unfortunately I am not sure any more whether "mono" is needed already to run Repetier-Host or just for installing/running Slic3r.

If you have questions regarding running Repetier-Host/Slic3r under openSUSE 42.2 Leap, feel free to contact me. Maybe I can give some hints.

Thanks so much again,
    with best regards
    RepBoWat
  • Mono is only required by the host, whcih uses .NET and winforms for the GUI.