Initial auto-leveling configuration probs

I'm near the end of a full electronics swap of a dead 3d printer. I'm using an MKS Gen 1.4 board with Repetier firmware. This is my first try at attempting to set up auto-leveling from scratch.

I've got the inductive probe mounted, positioned and calibrated so that running a G30 (single probe) works perfectly and returns valid results.

However, when I try a G28 (home), then G29 to do a full auto-leveling sequence, just prior to each probing, the Y axis lurches forward (roughly)70 mm, and stays cumulatively out of position by the amount it lurched forward. Since 70mm x 3 is bigger than the depth of my bed (200x200) the Y-axis bangs and grinds against it's physical limit. Additionally, that puts the Z-probe beyond the edge of the bed, which causes the firmware to go into error mode, because the actual z-low limit switch is hit without ever tripping the Z-probe. Which, annoying sends the Z-Axis moving up, until it ultimately crashes into its physical limit and grinds until I kill the power.

1. Why is my config causing this lurching behavior? How do I fix it?
  2. Can the error behavior be configured/changed to NOT attempt infinite movement in the Z+ direction? (It might not matter once #1 is fixed, but I don't like the idea of my printer going into a mode where the Z-stepper could burn itself out if the power isn't flipped.)

Here is the Z-probe section of my config.h:

(Note: I have tried changing Z_PROBE_Y_OFFSET to -75, to see if I was entering the offset incorrectly. It didn't seem to change the behavior noticeably.)

// #################### Z-Probing #####################

#define Z_PROBE_Z_OFFSET 0.2
#define Z_PROBE_Z_OFFSET_MODE 0
#define UI_BED_COATING 1
#define FEATURE_Z_PROBE 1
#define Z_PROBE_BED_DISTANCE 8.0 // Higher than max bed level distance error in mm
#define Z_PROBE_PIN ORIG_Y_MAX_PIN
#define Z_PROBE_PULLUP 0
#define Z_PROBE_ON_HIGH 1
#define Z_PROBE_X_OFFSET 10
#define Z_PROBE_Y_OFFSET 75
#define Z_PROBE_WAIT_BEFORE_TEST 0
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED 5
#define Z_PROBE_XY_SPEED 150
#define Z_PROBE_SWITCHING_DISTANCE 1.5
#define Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS 5 // Repetitions for probing at one point.
#define Z_PROBE_HEIGHT 22.68
#define Z_PROBE_START_SCRIPT "m117 Autoleveling..."
#define Z_PROBE_FINISHED_SCRIPT "m117 Autoleveling Complete"
#define Z_PROBE_REQUIRES_HEATING 0
#define Z_PROBE_MIN_TEMPERATURE 150
#define FEATURE_AUTOLEVEL 1
#define Z_PROBE_X1 20
#define Z_PROBE_Y1 00
#define Z_PROBE_X2 160
#define Z_PROBE_Y2 00
#define Z_PROBE_X3 100
#define Z_PROBE_Y3 120
#define BED_LEVELING_METHOD 1
#define BED_CORRECTION_METHOD 0
#define BED_LEVELING_GRID_SIZE 5
#define BED_LEVELING_REPETITIONS 5
#define BED_MOTOR_1_X 0
#define BED_MOTOR_1_Y 0
#define BED_MOTOR_2_X 200
#define BED_MOTOR_2_Y 0
#define BED_MOTOR_3_X 100
#define BED_MOTOR_3_Y 200
#define BENDING_CORRECTION_A 0
#define BENDING_CORRECTION_B 0
#define BENDING_CORRECTION_C 0
#define FEATURE_AXISCOMP 0
#define AXISCOMP_TANXY 0
#define AXISCOMP_TANYZ 0

Comments

• First G29 is mot autolevel, it is measure height if no autoleveling is needed. G32 S2 is autoleveling. When starting autoleveling the z probe gets activated meaning we add the probe offset here 75mm as seen from config, so that kove is ok. Trick is to use only points where that move is possible, which is less then full bed in most cases.