how do i get printer to communicate with my computer

My mac is not communicating with the 3d printer. I have connected the printer but get a message that the port is wrong and my computer can't communicate with the printer can anyone help me out. 

Thanks

Comments

• My mac is not communicating with the 3d printer. I have connected the printer but get a message that the port is wrong and my computer can't communicate with the printer can anyone help me out. 
  • Supported printers add a serial driver when connected. You can see them in terminal with ls /dev
    So disconnect printer check directory, connect and check again. If you have new files then these belong to the serial driver for the printer and you have to select that name. If nothing appears it might have no serial connection or requires a driver to be installed, also normally not required on mac. 
  • How do I get a Serial Port on a Mac? Genius bar doesn't even know what I'm talking about! I cannot connect to printer using either of my port offerings, USBmodem1411 or Bluetooth-incoming-Port. However, the program runs using the Virtual Printer setting.
    I've had a serial port listed in USB hardware in the System Report awhile back but don't remember how I got it.
    How do I get a Serial Port on a Mac?
  • They should be simply there. In mac I have for example
    /dev/tty.usbmodem14631
    on repetier-server, host would show only usbmodem14631 I think. The thing on mac is that the name depends on the usb port you are using. But normally you need not do anything to get your serial port. It just appears as soon as the printer is connected.
  • Hi,

You don’t really have or get native serialport to you mac.
    your 3d printer acts like one when you connect your mac to it if you are lucky you have proper kernel modules that understands that behind you printers usb port is serial device..