Can I get extruder temp on another arduino?

Hello fellow printees. I'm a complete newbie at programming, 3D printing, and electronics, but I my brother built a 3D printer and he is gone for 2 weeks. I want to surprise him by understanding the 3 things mentioned above. How can I connect an Arduino Uno v3 to an Arduino Mega 2560 (with a RAMPS 1.4 shield for the printer) to receive the bed and extruder temperature on the Uno? I managed to do this with a Mega and an Uno, but not having the Repetier firmware on it. I feel like the Firmware messes with the pinMode function. 

I am using A3 and A4 on AUX1 (I believe that they are free because it's on an AUX port) to connect to the Uno.

Any help is appreciated :)

P.S. I can put any code you request. No rush, but I'd like to have it done in a day or so. The possibilities are endless

Comments

• This is a quite complex task as you do not want to disturb the printing process. So you need a push communication in the main loop that sends temperatures every now and then. Best is to capture the 500ms event so you can implement it independently of the firmware. How you then do the communication is up to you.

But why the hec do you want to do such a thing? I'm quite sure the mega can do, what you want the uno to do.
  • Thanks for the fast response Repetier. My brother has an GRB LED that is controlled by the NeoPoxel library. Regarding the temperature, it will make different color plays. 
    Ex. 
     > 10 - 30 C -> fading through blue and green
     > 30 - 115 C -> fading through red and orange

I was able to do this on a Uno, but using delays (that are not permitted in the repetier firmware). The GRB (Green Blue Red) Led is controlled by three values (0 - 255). Any ideas?

The best solution that I could come up with was sending data to another arduino. Any advice / thoughts / critics are appreciated.
  • Ok. I was able to play with the firmware and send via serial (USB 115200 baud) the temperature every second. But I'm still having problem using pins analog 3 and analog 4 (which are found on AUX1). Any ideas?
  • What are these pins supposed to do if you already send data via serial? Isn't that enough.