software revision

I currently use repetier 0.84 as this was what I was told to install when I bought my printer. I would now like to use the latest version but when I install the software and try to run my printer it seems that it is so memory hungry that it slows the printer down until, after a few minutes it stops and says that repetier has stopped working.
I have seen on Github that this should not be the case and the new version does not use any more memory than previous versions. Repetiers explanation was too complicated for me to understand so I have reinstalled 0.84.
I have had my printer for 6 months now and am still not producing useable parts. I am trying to address everyones suggestions, this being one of them.
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Sure you are talking about the host? SOunds more like you are talking about firmware. 0.84 host must be a few years old as I can even not remember it.
  • I do not know what the difference is between a host and firmware. When I open repetier from the shortcut on my desktop Repetier 0.84 is displayed in the top left corner of my screen.
  • Ok, then it is in deed a very old version of the host and you should upgrade to 1.5.6. That should work with normal computers with 1GB ram and above depending on model sizes. It also includes much better slicers then the old version and is the version documented on our homepage.
  • So can you explain the problem that I mentioned in  my original post and how I can get around it?
  • You need to be more exact. What objects/size and when does it slow down, which memory usage. With no information I can not say anything. As soon as you start swapping memory you get slow. If your graphic card is slow bigge rmodels also slow down.
  • The object was quite small (3cm cubed).
    It slows down after slicing, when the printing starts to the point where it comes to a complete stop. The graphics are set to the low level setting and I do not have the screen on which shows the print progress, I only display the temperature. I have 4Gb RAM in my computer.
    It is difficult to be more exact because I do not know what information is important. Repetier 0.84 works fine but I want to upgrade so that I can try curaengine.
  • Sounds like your graphic card is too slow. 1st make sure you have antialiasing in preferences disabled. This costs quite some time. Then set quality to medium for a good compromise, this is what most use. If you have OpenGL 1.5 or higher select Automatic as drawing method, which then should use VBOs which increase speed by fator 10 or more.

Showing temperature does not prevent graphic update from being computed. Unset Show filament to do so.