Useing a sd card

Hi. I have a sd card module on my board. I have not been able to find a guide to activate it or use it in repetier;
When I put the card, I mount it, but I cant see any file on the card. The first thing I see after inserting the card is a message saying that the file name is too long...
So can somebody point me how to set up sd card support in the firmware, sd card pre requisites (size? brand? type of sd card? I have a 2gb kingston card for example, and a 4 gb card, both of them new, but not recogniced)

Thanks in advance)

Comments

• You haven't said which firmware. In any case 8.3 chars per filename like in good old dos times only ascii chars should work.

In the host in printer settings enable sd card to get access to it from the host.
  • Mmmmm Im new in the 3d printing world... the firmware is the repetier firmware one of the latest I guess. In the printer configuration I already have checked the "printer has sd card" box. The error of the filename appears but actually there is only 1 file in the card named test.gco, there shlould be no problems with that name. Anyway, the file is not even shown , I mean the file is not being displayed. The sd card must be of a particular brand, kind, size, format?
    Should I configure something in the firmware like Pins , etcs?
    Thanks in advance

• To see firmware version send M115 to the printer and check the log.

If you get a message that filename is too long you are reading the sd card so settings seem ok. I had sd cards up to 32gb with no problems in use. Latest release allows files with 26 chars in total. You see problems when sd init failed appears when you mount a sd card. Then sd is not working correct at all.

You might try formatting the sd card with a sd formatter. It can only read VFAT filesystems, not NTFS etc.
  • Te firmware is 0.91
    I formated the sd card, 2 GB, vfat system.
    Put the card. Click on MOUNT  CARD, in the logs I only read "begin file list" "end file list" and nothing is displayed (there is a gco file inside)

Suggestions? I can perfectly read the card in the windows explorer
  • Did you compile firmware yourself? Some vendors have modifications to only show some endings. Try  .g and also a filename with more then 8 chars and both .g and .gco and maybe even .gcode.
  • No, the firmware is the "ooriginal" Acording to the man who biult the printer, the firmware has not been customized. In the configuration.h file, I put 1 in SD SUPPORT. Anything else needs to be edited?
    I ahve tried .g, .gco and .gcode. It didn't worked.
    How do I know that actually the board is detecting the sd card module?
  • Check log. If you see after a mount command sd init failed it didn't see a sd card. If you have a lcd and sd with autodetect is will show in display moudned/unmounted if you insert/remove it while running.

If you have lcd with sd card and board with sd card make sure to use the right slot. Only one will work normally.
  • Hi. Nothing helpful on the logs. I dont have LCD card.
    There are 2 slots were I can plug the sd module, I have tried and plugin into the other slot causes the printer not to start properly.
    I have run an M20 command: I get OK. M21 gives me "begin file list     end file list" but no file list at all really
    If I unplug the module from the card, and run an M21 command, I get the same "OK". Is this ok? If the module is not connected how is it being initialized?