Rotary encoder jumps >100 steps in opposite direction during Z-babystep use

While printing an object and trying to adjust the Z-babystep on a Mega/RAMPS 1.4 with the RepRapDiscount Full LCD, I am having a really hard time using the Z babystep function with the LCD rotary encoder.  If I spin the dial very slowly, it mostly works but the Z babystepping is too slow to complete an adjustment within the first layer of even a medium sized object (1 click = 0.0025 mm).  If I try to spin the dial faster, I can get it to slowly come up in 0.01 increments if the printer doesn't have too many moves queued up.  But if there is a rapid set of movement commands being processed while I'm spinning the rotary encoder in the negative direction at a modest pace (say I've dialed down to -0.12mm and still dialing down), the Mega board suddenly interprets at the moment of rapid movement processing that I am turning the dial in the opposite direction at breakneck speed, and the Z babystep jumps from -0.12mm to +0.50 or even +1.5 or +2.0mm.  One can imagine how maddening this is when trying to dial down toward the glass, and for the nozzle to instead jump way up by a mm or two.

I also experienced a firmware lockup during rapid rotary encoder dialing when a rapid set of motions were processed (say printing a small arc with retracts and rapid travel movements on either side).  The LCD stop button did not reset the firmware like usual, I had to use the Mega board's reset button.

I know I can use the Z babystepping multiplicator (sic) to reduce the amount of rotary encoder spinning, however I still think it's a defect to jump hundreds of steps in any direction for a quarter turn of the encoder dial during rapid travel/extrude/retraction instructions.  Perhaps a fix would be to ignore polling of the encoder when the user has enabled the dynamic encoder speed functionality during really rapid processing.

I'm using firmware 0.92.4 with this file.

http://www.neveroddoreven.com/cobblebot/Configuration.h

Comments

• If you have a cartesian printer with 2560 steps per mm in z you will need the multiplier or you can click forever. This will not send all steps directly but split a bit over time, it only increases the todo counter faster so you do not need fast rotations. I also disabled speed multiplier I thought. For delta printers it was also reported broken if run while printing.
  • I increased the Z multiplier to 4, so that one encoder click advances 0.01mm.  This made it easier to adjust the Z babystep, but I still see the 0.92.4 firmware hang if I turn it two or three clicks while an arc is being printed.  It reproduces rather easily.
  • edited September 2015
    with the old version okay no problem with Baby
    I still use 0.92.3
    Stampante delta alligatore

Sorry
  • Hi, 
    babystepping does not work since 92.4. 
    The printer hangs completely after some clicks turning the wheel. 

Tested on Rumba and Ramps 1.4, RRD Smart Controller (20x4). 

Is it possible, that the settings of the rotary encoder cause this problem?

regards,
    Stefan
  • We had meanwhile a version where babystepping was not working correctly for some cases. This was solved in later version. Since you are referring to a old version I assume it is the one where the problem existed. Please try with latest release.
  • Hi,
    thank you for your answer. 
    i had issues with my Rumba board and so i changed the firmware often last time. Babystepping worked fine with 0.92.3. Since 0.92.4 it doesn't work. My last try was yesterday (I downloaded the complete firmware). 
    Meanwhile i changed the board to Ramps 1.4 and have the same problem: The print stops and the board freezes completely. I have to disconnect power and USB for restarting. 
    Sometimes it works for 2 or 3 clicks at the wheel but mostly it freezes at the first click. 

I tried it again with 0.91 - it works.

So i will test the actual Versions of 0.92 the next days. It's a really fine feature that I will not miss ;)

By the way: another thing i miss is "max pwm value" for the fans...

Regards,
    Stefan

• What printer type are you using? Implementation differs for delta and others.

There is no max pwm for fans. Full power is always possible. 
  • I'm using a kartesian printer and babystepping worked fine till 0.92.3 

I know that there is - unfortunately - no option for max pwm for fans. I wanted to test 12V fans in a 24V setup without changing all my profiles. The option is not really necessary but would be comfortable.

regards,
    Stefan